TRAVEL, VOLUNTEER & Give Back
These are some of my favourite travel resources that help me to be a socially responsible traveler. These tools help to ensure that I have a great time whenever I am travelling, as well as help me find local, social businesses or non-profit organizations to support and when it is the right fit volunteer with.
- Before you delve into the best ways to volunteer or give back when you travel it is a good idea to understand the premise of sustainable development. This concept is key to responsible travel and ethical volunteering as it advocates for long-term change and solutions to issues rather than band-aids. To help understand the issue check out my blog post on What Exactly Is Sustainable Development Anyways?
- THINK ChildSafe is a great website with a ton of resources about how you can help protect vulnerable children when you travel. It offers great tips on how you can help and advice on how to be a Child Safe traveler. Read my interview with Heidi Bain, the manager of the 7 tips for traveler, as she talks about why you should never volunteer with children and the importance of responsible tourism.
- Grassroots Volunteering is a database of volunteer opportunities and social businesses from around the globe. The database is maintained by volunteer ambassadors, like me, and offers information on the organizations and tells you how you can get involved or support them. Read my introduction to GV here.
- The LIN Center for Community Development (you can read my interview with their founder here) created and manages the Vietnam Causes website which is a searchable directory listing local non-profits in Vietnam. It will give you an initial idea of what the organization does and how you can help
- Or you can check out Blue Bees which is also managed by the LIN Center and matches volunteers in Vietnam with projects online for free! Some of the opportunities are remote as well, so you do not actually have to be in Vietnam to volunteer with them.